Elon Musk is a member of President Donald Trump’s economic advisory board. As a result, Musk will be able to have a direct line of communication with the leader of the free world. Now, the CEO of Tesla is asking for “specific amendments” for the president’s executive order on immigration.
Over the weekend, several tech leaders took to social media to voice their opinion on Trump’s immigration ban on “terror-prone” countries. Elon Musk was among the tech giants throwing their two cents in the ring.
Earlier this weekend Musk commented on the Immigration Executive order. “The blanket entry ban on citizens from certain primarily Muslim countries is not the best way to address the country’s challenges,” Musk said.
“Many people negatively affected by this policy are strong supporters of the US. They’ve done right, not wrong & don’t deserve to be rejected,” Musk added.
Then on Sunday evening, Elon Musk took to Twitter to ask for advice. Musk linked to a Wall Street Journal article explaining the immigration order. “Please read immigration order. Lmk specific amendments. Will seek advisory council consensus & present to President,” Musk said on Twitter.
Please read immigration order. Lmk specific amendments. Will seek advisory council consensus & present to President. https://t.co/qLpbsP4lEk
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) January 29, 2017
Musk will meet with Donald Trump during an economic advisory board meeting this Friday. Along with the CEO of Tesla, the chief executive officer of Uber, Travis Kalanick, will also be in attendance.
Over the weekend, Kalanick responded to the immigration executive order. Uber plans on compensating drivers affected by the immigration ban during the next three months to mitigate the some of the financial stress the new executive order will have on them.
Donald Trump issued a statement regarding the immigration ban on Facebook. “We will keep it free and keep it safe, as the media knows, but refuses to say,” Trump said. “My policy is similar to what President Obama did in 2011 when he banned visas for refugees from Iraq for six months. The seven countries named in the Executive Order are the same countries previously identified by the Obama administration as sources of terror. To be clear, this is not a Muslim ban, as the media is falsely reporting.”