While we have heard of exploding cell phones, a new report claims a Wisconsin woman’s Fitbit exploded injuring her arm.
According to WISN news, Fitbit owner Dina Mitchell said she was wearing her Fitbit Flex 2 device last week when it spontaneously exploded on her arm. As a result of the Fitbit explosion, the device left her with second – degree burns on her wrist.
She told WISN News that device just exploded. “It didn’t heat up at first; there was no warning, it just, it burst into flames. It exploded,” Mitchell explained.
Mitchell says that the tracker was recently a birthday present and she has received treatment at an urgent care facility for her injuries, ABC News reports. Also, a doctor picked pieces of rubber and plastic out of her wrist.
In a statement by Fitbit, the company has announced that they are investigating the issue. The company explained in a statement to the Huffington Post that they are “extremely concerned” and “take it very seriously.”
“Fitbit products are designed and produced in accordance with strict standards and undergo extensive internal and external testing to ensure the safety of our users,” a spokesperson told Huffington Post.
This news comes after the company cut over 100 jobs following weak holiday sales. The company’s CEO explained that Fitbit will focus on “new areas of demand by leveraging the data we collect to deliver a more personalized experience.”