Site icon Digital Chew

Facebook May Start Sharing Video Ad-Revenue with Facebook Users


Stock Photo: 08 September 2014 Istanbul, Turkey: Facebook Login page on mobile phone. More than 425 million active users access Facebook through mobile devices in 60 countries. (endermasali /

Facebook may start sharing advertising revenue with publishers.

Watch out YouTube, Facebook is reportedly considering testing mid-video advertisements and sharing the revenue with Facebook users. According to multiple reports, instead of playing an advertisement at the beginning or the end of the video, Facebook will release “mid-roll” ads that will be shown in the middle of the video.

In addition, the program will split the revenue with 45% going towards the social media giant and the remaining 55% going towards the publisher.

Reports also suggest that advertisements will be seen in videos that run for at least 90 seconds or more and will be shown at least 20 seconds after a Facebook user hits play.

While this is groundbreaking for the social media giant, YouTube and YouTubers have made millions over the years by splitting advertising revenue. In fact, one of the most popular YouTubers, PewDiePie, was named one of the highest earning publishers on YouTube. Moreover, PewDiePie earned over $10 million in 2015.

Stock Photo:
Man using Youtube application on his smartphone, background is an image from the projector – photography from social media meeting in city of Lodz, Poland 07.11. 2014 (Michal Ludwiczak /

But, Facebook’s video programming especially, Facebook Live has opened the doors to violent content on millions of Facebook user’s news feeds. Last week, four African American men and women were arrested after broadcasting live on Facebook. The video featured a special-needs teenager getting taunted, abused humiliated and reportedly tortured. The four teenagers now face several charges including kidnapping, hate crime and battery charges. In addition, Cook County Judge Maria Kuriakos Ciesil denied the four teens bail.

But, this is not the first time Facebook’s video content sparked controversy. Last October, Philando Castile was shot by a St. Anthony, Minnesota police officer after getting pulled over. Castile’s girlfriend, who was sitting on the passenger side, immediately went on Facebook Live to broadcast her dying husband’s last words to the public. It immediately sparked controversy, protests, and vigils.

Exit mobile version