North Carolina Man Arrested Over Explosives at Shopping Plaza

Arrest and Alleged Possession of Explosives

A suspect, identified as Cameron Lee Smith, was arrested last week in North Carolina after he reportedly brought explosives to a shopping plaza. Local authorities have charged Smith with various offenses, including possession of a weapon of mass destruction and methamphetamine. Smith, who hails from Washington, North Carolina, is also accused of carrying a concealed gun and possessing drugs paraphernalia.

Main Takeaways:

– Cameron Lee Smith, a resident of Washington, North Carolina, was arrested for allegedly bringing explosives to a shopping plaza.
– Smith was also charged with possession of a weapon of mass destruction and methamphetamine.
– Deputies discovered potentially explosive materials in Smith’s vehicle.
– Local businesses in the shopping center were temporarily closed due to the incident.

The Incident at a Food Lion in Washington

Detailed reports from the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office reveal that the incident occurred around 6:45 p.m. at a Food Lion grocery store in Washington, where an investigator noticed Smith seeming to collapse in his car. This unusual event prompted a welfare check where drug paraphernalia visible in the car sparked a further search. Smith was found with a weapon, methamphetamine, and further drug paraphernalia on his person.

In proceeding with a probable cause search of the vehicle, officers made an alarming discovery. They found what they believed to be explosives inside Smith’s vehicle.

The Immediate Response

Quick thinking by these officers led to the immediate securing of the car and its surroundings. The local emergency services departments were called in to manage the scene. As a precautionary measure, businesses within the shopping plaza were also temporarily shut down.

Follow-Up Inquiry

Further investigations led deputies to search Smith’s home, where they uncovered even more concerning items. Among these, a homemade military-grade grenade and another grenade suspected to be from either World War I or World War II era.

The US Marines, specifically a unit from the Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, were also called upon to process the parking lot scene following Smith’s arrest.

Detention and Pending Case

Smith was subsequently detained and transported to Beaufort County Detention Center. As of the latest report, he is being held under no bond.

This incident adds to the growing warning signals over private ownership of explosive devices in America and the potential threats to public security. It underlines the need for a review of existing policies, to prevent similar incidents in the future. The case of Cameron Lee Smith will continue to evolve, perhaps revealing more about the many motivations and implications of such an act.

In any case, the sharp wit and rapid response by the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office ensured public safety and swift incapacitation of a potential threat.

This incident serves as a reminder of the relentless vigilance of law enforcement agencies who are continuously thwarting potential threats to our security. It also points at the urgent necessity to tackle the alarming rise of illegal possession of weapons and explosives nationwide.

The story will be updated with new details as the investigation progresses.